Friday, July 24, 2009

Miami's Shantytown Sex Offenders May Be Moving

County officials are attempting to move the registered sex offenders living under a bridge in Miami to private housing this week. The chairman of Dade County's Homeless Trust stated this week that the group will move eight men into an apartment located elsewhere in Miami. Other locations are being considered to relocate the near 70 remaining registered offenders living in tents and make shift huts.

However, some of the men do not want to move, stating that being told where they must live is the same as being in prison.

"I'm not in prison anymore," said Reg, a 44-year-old offender who served six years behind bars for molesting a minor. He declined to give his last name for fear he may lose his job as a cook. "I'm a taxpayer, I'm on probation and I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't want to be told to live somewhere."


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment